In partnership with
Data security and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) imposes certain obligations upon Behavioural Insights Limited (BIT), and other companies within the group, as Controllers and/or Processors in relation to processing Personal Data.
BIT takes these obligations seriously. BIT is committed to respecting the rights of all individuals whose personal data it processes:
- In relation to data security, BIT has implemented appropriate measures to ensure the secure storage and handling of Personal Data, including obtaining a Cyber Essentials Plus certification and developing a comprehensive Data Handling Protocol.
- In relation to data protection and privacy rights, our data processing activities are conducted according to the principles relating to the processing of Personal Data set out in the GDPR, including that Personal Data shall be processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner, and in a manner that ensures the security of the Personal Data. BIT has policies and procedures in place to ensure compliance with these principles.
More information on how we handle Personal Data in relation to projects we are working on is detailed below.
BIT is registered with the UK ICO under the terms of the Data Protection Act 2018. Our registration number is ZA038649.
Privacy by design
BIT conducts all trials and research projects with a privacy by design approach to protect and maintain the privacy and security of research participants’ and research subjects’ data. We work closely with clients, government departments and research partners when designing interventions to ensure that a privacy by design approach is implemented and respected.
Our data protection and data security policies and procedures reflect necessary legislative requirements and set out the standard to which BIT staff should work when dealing with Personal Data, including:
- Attendance at mandatory data protection training for all employees;
- Identifying data requirements from the outset of each project;
- Minimising use of Personal Data where possible and ensuring we have the right to handle any Personal Data where successful project delivery is reliant on using it;
- Putting in place data processing agreements with all clients and suppliers to clarify data handling arrangements ahead of any data being transferred;
- Complying with all relevant data residency requirements and implementing appropriate technical and organisational measures, to protect data and avoid unauthorised access, internally and externally;
- A clear internal reporting process in the event of a data breach, to consider the nature of the breach and identify any necessary action, including whether the breach should be reported to the relevant authorities, i.e. the Information Commissioner’s Office in the UK or the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner;
- Clear procedures on retention and destruction of Personal Data to avoid keeping hold of Personal Data longer than necessary for the purposes of each project; and
- Implementing robust investigation and reporting procedures in relation to any data breach or security issues that arise both within our own systems and those of our clients, partners and suppliers.
Data Protection Officer
The BIT group of companies has appointed a Data Protection Officer (DPO) who is the first point of contact for any issue regarding data protection and data security. The DPO can be contacted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to us at:
Data Protection Officer
Behavioural Insights Limited
4 Matthew Parker Street
London SW1H 9NP United Kingdom